Monday, May 21, 2018

Let's talk about shunt surgery


I would have never thought it


For those who follow this blog regularly, you know that I developed hydrocephalus about one week after I was born.  You might also remember that I became symptomatic last October. Up to this point I have done okay treating the symptoms with medication, but they are getting worse, so, this coming week, I have an appointment at Emory University Hospital for a surgical consultation to either implant a ventriculoperitoneal (VP) shunt, do an endoscopic third ventriculostomy (ETV), or, maybe, both. Whichever Dr. Olson and I agree on, I am ready and look forward - following my recovery - to returning to a quality of life that I enjoy and that benefits those around me.

As I say, I am at peace with the surgery, however, after seeing a video on YouTube, one aspect of the shunt implant raise my anxiety (and pain level) a notch. It involves what I refer to as the "Moses stick" (surgical, stainless steel rod) they use to guide the tubing toward its final destination in my peritoneal cavity. I have been assured by my hydrocephalus family that I will be getting the "good stuff" for pain so any discomfort I feel should be minimal.

They will keep me going


Regardless of how it plays - surgical intervention or continued treatment with medication - I have the most awesome support system a guy could ask for and I believe it is because they have "been there, done that" so they are not only helping me to grasp what's before me, but calming my fears. I love my sweet "hydro family". ❤

2 comments:

  1. Creative Curriculum in Mosaic Nursery in JLT Dubai
    We at British Mosaic Nursery in Dubai admit that each child is unique and has a bar that is above the rest. This acknowledgement allows us to ensure parents of our creative curriculum and therefore, of the efforts our team takes in order to craft these young minds with positivity and creativity. Get in touch with us for more detail.
    nursery in dubai

    http://www.mosaicnursery.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. VRSano takes away the fear of surgery, heavy medication and provides a safe way of managing anxiety and pain in patients. VRSANO integrates virtual reality and research-proven principles of clinical hypnosis to reduce pain and prepare and recover from surgery.

    ReplyDelete