Thursday, September 6, 2018

Relieving the pressure within: preparing for my surgery (part 1)

Most involved . . .

Since 2008, I have five other surgical procedures: three stints (2016), bi-ventricular pacemaker (2014), and an Orchiectomy (2008). The surgery to implant a shunt or open a ventriculostomy will be, by far, the most involved carrying the greatest benefit to allow me to return - at least for the biggest part - to helping others. Are there risk? Yes, but at this point, I think the benefits far exceed the risk. To quote an article I read "Most cases of symptomatic hydrocephalus must be treated before permanent neurologic deficits result or neurologic deficits progress" That same article goes on to explain that when the etiologic factor(s) are known, the hydrocephalus can be treated with temporary measures while the underlying causation is also being treated. In my situation, the etiology is congenital aqueductal stenosis which causes my aqueduct of Sylvius to be completely blocked which means cerebrospinal fluid is always present in my skull and cannot be reabsorbed by my body.

Questions, forms, and tests (Oh my!)

I haven't even had the consultation for the surgery yet, and I am blown away by the questions to be answered, forms to be filled out (some in duplicate and triplicate), and tests that have to be completed. I am somewhat embarrassed to admit this, but as I was educating myself on what was about to happen and the website mentioned "informed consent" but, for whatever reason, my mind saw "implied consent". It wasn't until later than evening when I mentioned it to my sister Hope, that she pointed out my gaffe. "Informed consent", by the way, means that I fully understand what the surgery is intended to do, benefits and, of course, potential risks. I do.

But it's not just paperwork when you're preparing for brain surgery (pardon my repeated use of those words . . . it's my way of making what is about to happen real). Prior my consultation visit with my neurosurgeon (which will most likely occur late next and when I am admitted to the hospital, I will have undergone three (3) imaging studies including an Cine MRI which will allow the neurosurgeon to the flow of my cerebrospinal fluid or CSF. This is important for two reasons: 1) It will allow the neurosurgeon to see any blockages that exists in addition to the aqueductual stenosis that we are already aware of; and 2) It will confirm if their suspicions are correct and that I also have Chiari malformation where the cerebellar tonsils (lowest part of the brain) has actually descended into the upper part of my spinal column.


1 comment: